Who processes your information?
Springwell Infant & Nursery School is the data controller of the personal information you provide to us. This means the school determines the purposes for which, and the manner in which, any personal data relating to pupils and their families is to be processed.
In some cases, your data will be outsourced to a third party processor; however, this will only be done with your consent, unless the law requires the school to share your data. Where the school outsources data to a third party processor, the same data protection standards that Springwell Infant & Nursery School upholds are imposed on the processor.
Mr Glenn Barnett is the data protection officer. Mr Barnett’s role is to oversee and monitor the school’s data protection procedures, and to ensure they are compliant with the GDPR. The data protection officer can be contacted on 020 8570 5702 or email@example.com.
Why do we collect and use your information?
Springwell Infant & Nursery School holds the legal right to collect and use personal data relating to pupils and their families we may also receive information regarding them from their previous school, LA and/ or the DfE. We collect and use personal data in order to meet legal requirements and legitimate interests set out in the GDPR and UK law, including those in relation to the following:-
- Article 6 and Article 9 of the GDPR
- Education Act 1996
- Regulation 5 of The Education (Information About Individual Pupils) (England Regulations 2013)
In accordance with the above, the personal data of pupils and their families is collected and used for the following reasons:-
- To support pupil learning
- To monitor and report on pupil progress
- To provide appropriate pastoral care
- To assess the quality of our service
- To comply with the law regarding data sharing
- To safeguard pupils
Which data is collected?
The categories of pupil information that the school collects, holds and shares include the following:-
- Personal information (such as name, unique pupil number and address)
- Characteristics (such as ethnicity, language, nationality, country of birth and free school meal eligibility)
- Attendance information (such as sessions attended, number of absences and absence reasons)
- Assessment information (such as EYFSP & KS1)
- Relevant medical information
- Information relating to SEND
- Behavioural information
Whilst the majority of the personal data you provide to the school is mandatory, some is provided on a voluntary basis. When collecting data, the school will inform you whether you are required to provide this data or if your consent is needed. Where consent is required, the school will provide you with specific and explicit information with regards to the reasons the data is being collected and how the date will be used.
How long is your data stored for?
Personal data relating to pupils at Springwell Infant & Nursery School and their families is stored in line with the schools Data Protection Policy and Information and Records Management Society’s toolkit for schools
In accordance with the GDPR, the school does not store personal data indefinitely; data is only stored for as long as is necessary to complete the task for which it was originally collected.
Will my information be shared?
The school is required to share pupils’ data with the DfE on a statutory basis.
The National Pupil Database (NPD) is managed by the DfE and contains information about pupils in schools in England. Springwell Infant & Nursery School is required by law to provide information about our pupils to the DfE as part of the statutory data collections, such as the school census; some of this information is then stored in the NPD. The DfE may share information about our pupils from the NDP with third parties who promote the education or wellbeing of children in England by:
- Conducting research or analysis
- Producing statistics
- Providing information, advice or guidance
The DfE has robust processes in place to ensure the confidentiality of any data shared from the NDP is maintained.
Springwell Infant & Nursery School will not share your personal information with any third parties without your consent, unless the law allows us to do so. The school routinely shares pupils’ information with:-
- Pupils’ destinations upon leaving the school
- The Local Authority
- The NHS
- The DfE
What are your rights?
Parents and pupils have the following rights in relation the processing of their personal data.
You have the right to:-
- Be informed about how Springwell Infant & Nursery School uses your personal data
- Request access to the personal data that Springwell Infant & Nursery School holds
- Request that your personal data is amended if it is inaccurate or incomplete
- Request that your personal data is erased where there is no compelling reason for its continued processing
- Request that the processing of your data is restricted
- Object to your personal data being processed
Where the processing of your data is based on your consent, you have the right to withdraw this consent at any time.
If you have a concern about the way Springwell Infant & Nursery School and/ or the DfE is collecting or using your personal data, you can raise a concern with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). The ICO can be contacted on 0303 123 1113, Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.
Where can you find out more information?
If you would like to find out more information about how we and/ or the DfE collect, use and store your personal data, please visit our website (www.springwell.org.uk) to download our GDPR Data Protection Policy.
Springwell Infant & Nursery School
I, __________________________________________(please use block capitals) parent/ carer of
_____________________________________________ in class _________________________________
Declare that I understand
- Springwell Infant & Nursery School has a legal and legitimate interest to collect and process my personal data in order to meet statutory requirements.
- How my data is used.
- Springwell Infant & Nursery School may share my data with the DfE and subsequently the Local Authority.
- Springwell Infant & Nursery School will not share my data with any other third parties without my consent, unless the law requires the school to do so.
- Springwell Infant & Nursery School will always ask for explicit consent where this is required, and I must provide this consent if I agree to the data being processed.
- My data is retained in line with the school’s GDPR Data Protection Policy.
- My right to the processing of my personal data.
- Where I can find out more information about the processing of my personal data.
Signed ________________________________________ Date ________________________